This project is now hosted on GitHub
. This site is being maintained for now, but please move to using GitHub.
This DirectXMesh sample is an implementation of the meshconvert
command-line utility from the DirectX SDK using DirectXMesh rather than D3DX. This tool imports geometry and prepares it for runtime use including generating normals and tangent frames,
performing vertex-cache optimization, and writing it to a file format suited for runtime use.
The original tool imported from legacy X files. This version imports from Wavefront OBJ or VBO files.
Meshconvert.exe uses the following command syntax:
meshconvert [-n | -na | -ne] [-t | -tb] [-cw] [-op] [-c] [-ta | -ga]
[-sdkmesh | -cmo | -vbo] [-nodds] [-flip] [-flipv] [-flipz]
[-o <filename] [-y] [-nologo] <file-name(s)>
The file-name parameter indicates the file(s) to convert.
The optional command-line switches are described in the following table.
Optional Switches Description
- -n generate normals weighted by angle
- -na generate normals weighted by area
- -ne generate normals weighted equally
- -t generate tangents.
- -tb generate tangents and bi-tangents (aka bi-normals).
- -cw faces are clockwise (defaults to counter-clockwise) for generating normals
- -op vertex cache optimize the mesh (implies -c)
- -c mesh cleaning including vertex duplication for attribute sets.
- -ta when generating adjacency use topological adjacency (the default)
- -ga when generating adjacency use geometric adjacency (uses epsilon of 1e-5f)
- -sdkmesh output an .SDKMESH file (the default)
- -cmo output a .CMO file (requires normals, tangents and texture coordinates).
- -vbo output a .VBO file (requires normals and texture coordinates).
- -nodds prevents extension renaming in exported materials. By default, texture filenames are converted from an existing image extension to .dds assuming they are going to be processed by 'texconv'. This flag prevents the renaming and leaves
the original extension.
- -flip reverses the winding of faces
- -flipv inverts the v texture coordinate (Direct3D vs. OpenGL image orientation)
- -flipz negates the z component (RH vs. LH view systems)
- -o filename specifies output filename which is otherwise generated from the input file name. Use of this switch supports only one input file.
- -y overwrite existing output file if any. By default, the tool will abort if the output file already exists.
- -nologo suppress copyright message
meshconvert cup.obj -n -op
This loads the geometry in a Wavefront OBJ file 'cup.obj', generates normals (using weight by angle), performs vertex-cache optimization, and then writes the result to cup.sdkmesh.